13 Best Penny Boards for 2020 Posted in: Product Reviews, Skateboards – Tags: skate, skateboards main
How to pick the best penny board: When we talk about transportation, speed and cost-efficiency are important factors in this fast-paced world. There are many choices to choose from, and one of the most popular is the penny skateboards.
For ordinary onlookers, everything you ride and skate on is just a skateboard. But in the skateboarding world, there are actually different types of boards, and each offers a unique riding experience.
There are skateboards, cruiser skateboards, electric skateboards, longboards, the retro cruiser board, mini cruisers, and penny boards. For today, let us talk about the mini skateboard and how to find the best penny board.
Complete Best Penny Board List
The Top Picks 3 Best Penny Board Reviews
Before anything else, here are some interesting facts about complete penny skateboards. It actually got its name from an Australian company called Penny® Skateboards, which was founded in 2010. While it now represents a whole style, the name used to be linked to a small, plastic board that is the same as mini-cruiser longboards.
Over the years, new manufacturers have created their own versions of penny boards. And for consumers, it would not make sense if you spend money on a penny skateboard that does not suit your taste. So to avoid making mistakes, here is a list of the 13 best boards you can find.
In this guide, we’ve reviewed the best penny style skateboard by the best brands. These plastic boards are worth the money, perfect for beginners and experienced riders that will be performing tricks. Skip to content
This penny skate board has everything you will probably love from a penny board. What’s more, it comes in different colors and patterns such as fireworks, space, and floral graphics making it a great mini cruiser. Its 22” deck, 4” penny trucks, and 59 mm penny wheels will ensure you will have a smooth and stylish ride.
When it comes to durability, nothing beats the Penny complete. Videos posted online showed how this penny skateboard survived after being run over by a car. Overall this Penny mini cruiser is a great buy for value and quality making it the ideal board for beginners.
Look out for their Andy Davis Star Wars collaboration and other unique designs. Penny is distributed by Absolute Board co.
- Resilient and great board flex great option
- Great bushing for soft ease on sharp turns
- ABEC 5 branded bearings included
- Truck and wheel combo
- Penny nickel graphic is available in lots of color combinations
- A bit expensive
- Slightly slower bearings
Best Penny Skateboard Tricks
Watch below for some examples of the different basic tricks that can be done on a classic penny board. You’ll see kickflips, heelflips, hard flips, and 360 flips.
If you decided to do tricks as these do so at your own risk 🙂 A little known fact is that Larry Stevenson invented the kicktail on the skateboard which allows for all these tricks. Now go learn varial flips on your 22″ long penny it’s easy!
The penny complete skateboard is our favorite trick board. Sidenote tricks are easier on a long penny board, they have more foot space!
This skateboard is unlike any boards available on the market. The Skatro mini cruiser almost looks like a traditional 22” penny skateboard, but it is equipped with the Skatro flex technology. This machine-calculated molded plastic ensures a flexible, optimal, and consistent ride.
Most bearings of penny boards are made from carbon steel, but the Skatro mini cruiser uses bearing steel. They are way stronger than usual and provide absolute smoothness all the way. Skatro’s mini cruisers are a solid option in the penny skateboards complete market.
- Skatro flex technology
- Price is cheaper compared with other penny boards mini
- Comes with a matching T-tool
- Strong to support average-sized adult
- Wheels a bit slippery on first use
- Not for the advanced rider
- 3-inch aluminum trucks
- short wheelbase
Known for its cool design and features, this retro mini board is made for beginners, travelers, and cruise board players. It is one of the lightest boards at only 4 lbs, but it can carry riders weighing up to 200 lbs.
This board offers a high degree of flexibility that allows better control and smoother gliding. Another distinct feature is its 3-inch lightweight aluminum frame with first-class quality screws.
- Large soft wheels contribute to a smooth ride
- Comes with quality bearings
- Has 3-inch lightweight aluminum alloy bracket
- Made from 100% heavy-duty plastic
- Many styles and colors
- Wheels may easily get loose
- Retro penny original styling isn’t modern
If you are a classic, old-fashioned man, then the fine-tuned details of the Penny Classic are for you. While its look will take you back to the 70s, its performance and durability are way better than most penny boards available on the market today.
Coming in at just 4 lbs, you can take this Penny complete mini skateboard everywhere you go. It also comes with 3-inch aluminum tricks for more durability and a higher weight limit.
- Lightweight durable and flexible
- Classic style
- The perfect mini cruiser
- Classic waffle pattern
- Bearings could be better – considering penny skateboards standard
If you want a modern-looking board with a touch of minimalism, then the Penny Nickel Complete Pantones Cruiser is for you. It measures just 27 ” inches long and comes with ABEC 7 bearings.
It can comfortably hold skaters weighing up to 200 lbs, and its longer size provides more room for stability. But its overall sleek appearance and flexibility make this suitable to be carried anywhere and be used anytime you want.
- Board offers more stability
- Easy to carry
- Can accommodate larger skaters, 200 lb weight limit
- Premium urethane wheels
- Needs a little practice before a younger rider can become comfortable
- Shallow classic waffle pattern
This skateboard is a perfect kind of scooter for those who are just starting out. It is easy to use and light to carry for adults and kids alike. It comes with ABEC 7 bearings, which is known for its high speed and smooth operation. Like the other boards in the segment, the deck mold pattern makes grip tape unnecessary.
The Cal 7 Mini Cruiser skateboard boasts of 59 mm soft wheels, which are highly durable and can withstand weight without any difficulties. They are available in different design options too. What’s more, you can pick the color of your wheels as well. check price on amazon
- Suitable for both kids and adults
- Assembled shipping
- Durable transparent wheels
- Striking color combinations to choose from
- Best for beginners
- Need to loosen trucks for smooth turns
- Chips easily
If its smooth ride and sturdy build are not enough, then its lifetime warranty is really a huge point to consider. The maker is committed to replacing any part when broken. And without a doubt, this kind of guarantee gives you an assurance that the Boss Board 22 inch Complete will stand through the test of time.
It measures 22” inches long and 6” wide, and this board is very easy to transport. It also comes with ABEC 7 bearings. Its large, neon wheels will ensure you get a smooth ride.
- Lifetime warranty
- Suitable for beginners and advanced skaters
- Vintage-inspired look
- Can be too small for some skaters
- Could be higher quality
You know that the manufacturer behind this skateboard is determined to produce quality products when it incorporates what they call the Landwalker Technology. This is composed of “sophisticated equipment and well-trained workers, brilliant service team, and service attitude.”
This 22” Playwheels Skateboard boasts of ABEC 7 bearings and lightweight aluminum trucks with 59 mm wheels. Transportation has never been easy when using this board. It is as light as 4 lbs, but it has a maximum bearing weight of up to 200 lbs.
- Fit for most users
- Suitable for roads, skate parks, and U-shaped grounds
- Landwalker technology
- Comes with a T-tool
- Board is smaller in size than some competing boards
- Limited color combinations
This skateboard offers a package that is designed to accommodate skaters who love to carve. The Ten Toes Quip model is very flexible that it allows you to bounce as you roll across the pavement. Unlike most penny boards, this baby is a pound lighter at 3 lbs and a tad larger.
Available in nine unique color styles, the Quip is composed of carbon bearings and highly flexible plastic. Its polyurethane-casted wheels are big and soft enough to absorb any impact with ease.
- Lightweight and portable making it easy to carry
- Wide and smooth wheels
- Worthy of the price
- Excellent board for beginners
- Wheels need to be tightened on first use
- Soft bushings often lean to the riders dominant direction
- Could use higher quality components
Whether you are at the beginner or expert level, the Eneeko 22 is safe to use. This 22-inch board has a bendable deck and smooth PU caster. It has a maximum bearing weight of 200 lbs. Overall, it is a board that has all the basic and necessary functions and features. What penny is the best in your opinion? Answer in the comments!
- A durable board that does not collapse
- Completely assembled
- A great board for beginners
- quality plastic
- Wheels and trucks need to be loosened on first use
Popular for its light-up skateboard wheels, the Merkapa 22” is one of the best skateboards available on the market. The deck is 22” inches long and 6” wide and is offered in different vibrant color schemes.
In case you can’t get your mind off the possible additional expenses for the light-up wheels, here’s the good news. The wheels have LED lights that do not require any charging and can run even without batteries.
The source of electricity comes from the rotary power of the turning of the wheels. In case they stop lighting, simply tighten the screws. Problem solved?
- Comes with 3.25” V truck and base
- ABEC 7 bearings
- 60 x 45 mm PU wheel 78A
- Super shock absorption and fine abrasion-resistant wheels
- Can be too small for taller riders
- higher priced penny skateboard
When you check the specs of this penny board, you would understand where the popularity is coming from. It measures 22” long and 6” wide and supports up to 187 lbs of weight. Its axles are made of high-quality aluminum and it comes with ABEC 7 bearings and smooth PU wheels.
Many customers said the High Bounce Complete is similar to the Penny, minus the hefty brand name price. The board is sleek and comes in a number of color options. The High Bounce provides a quiet and smooth cruising experience with easier and comfortable turns compared with traditional skateboards. High bounce is a strong contender in the best penny board argument.
- Smooth cruising experience
- An excellent bargain for its price
- great for beginners
- Wheels and bearings need to be loosened on first use
- High build quality and design
- 59 mm polyurethane wheels ensure a smooth riding experience
- Our second choice best penny board for beginners
- Excellent choice for beginners
- Trucks aren’t as durable as other brands
Penny boards are really making a comeback. Its small size makes it easy to carry around while offering flexibility and great speed. Love it or abuse it, its durable deck material can handle a beating.
So, regardless if you are just cruising around or mastering some tricks, a penny offers a unique and fun riding experience in comparison to other sets of wheels.
Hopefully, this article has helped you decide the best penny board for you. Keep reading for more information and history, learn where these mini cruisers came from.
All About Penny Boards, Best Penny Board F.A.Q.
What is a Penny Board?
Although you might confuse the penny for just a plastic skateboard, it is actually a special type of board. They are smaller (around half a meter long), have no grip, and are primarily made of plastic compared to regular skateboards.
They have features similar to longboards. For example, the board has a rounded tip at the front, as well as 60-80 mm size wheels. Having a huge breakout in the late 80’s early 90’s these mini boards are making a huge comeback in the united states.
Who Invented the Penny Board?
The name penny board has become a generic trademark for any small plastic skateboards. “Penny” actually comes from “Penny Skateboards”, a well-known brand based in Australia.
The brand was founded by Ben Mackay in 2010. They popularized complete skateboards that paired cruiser wheels and trucks with a plastic upper deck.
How Long is a Penny Board?
Penny boards come in different variations, length included. There are three available deck sizes when it comes to penny boards.
The smallest is 22”. The 27” variation is called the Nickel, while the 36” deck is already considered a longboard. You can choose which size suits you the most based on comfort and use. A true penny board is typically no longer than 22″ inches long making these mini cruisers perfect for kids.
How Much Weight can a Penny Board Hold?
Like skateboards, penny boards also have a weight limit. Although they are much lighter than skateboards, they are strong molded plastic, making them very strong and durable considering they are made of plastic.
The usual size penny boards can hold up to 100 kg making them perfect for kids and teenagers, but many brands have been proven capable of holding much heavier weights. This video can show you how sturdy penny boards are.
How Much Does a Penny Board Weigh?
Plastic penny boards are lightweight compared to wooden skateboards, making them very portable boards. Their weight varies based on deck size and brand. The average skateboard weights from two to five pounds. Your penny board should be a little lighter than that.
How to Ride a Penny Board
To ride a penny board, you need to learn how to stand and kick. Make sure you place your board on a flat surface so it won’t slide around while you stand on it. Place your first foot on the board right behind the first two screws on top. Then, use your other foot to kick by putting the foot’s ball on the ground and pushing.
Just to be safe consider our best skateboard helmets article so you’re protected at all times. For a more detailed tutorial that will cover maneuvering, you can watch this video.
How to do a Kickflip on a Penny Board
Most skateboarders can do a kick flip, but it can be hard to do when you are on the smaller and more lightweight penny board. You need more practice because penny classic boards are for cruising and not tricks.
The first thing you need to do is buy and install grip tape since penny boards do not have grip. Put the ball of your front foot on the deck, with a bit of your foot off it. Your back foot should be on the deck’s tail. Pop your board into the air and flick your board using your toes.
After the board fully spans around, catch it with your feet in the middle of the air and land. It can be difficult to learn through text alone, so watch this video for the easiest way to do a kickflip on a penny board.
How to Customize your Board
Penny boards and mini cruiser skateboards come with plenty of customizable parts to make your board unique. First, you choose your model, which usually means you pick the deck size. Next, you can select the color for your deck, wheels, hangers, base plates, and bolts.
Lastly, you can customize your panel stickers and grip, if you wish to have one for your board. The nickel graphic options are vast, you can opt for elaborate or simplistic styles.
We’ve seen all kinds of cool graphics even sun boards and glow in the dark. This video gives you more details on how you can customize your penny board.
Is a Penny Board good for beginners?
Sure! Being smaller and easier to maneuver these Penny’s are perfect for the beginner looking to learn how to skateboard. The coolest collaborations are making them more attractive to the younger rider. Check out this awesome board available in the United States only.*
Amazon’s Recommended Best Penny Board and Mini Cruisers Skateboards
(Amazon recommended list)
- 22. 5" x 6" injection-molded 70's-style retro street cruiser, made with highly flexible plastic
- Ultra-smooth-gliding and highly flexible polyurethane casted wheels enhance durability and comfort while skating
- Equipped with precision and lightweight ABEC-7 high-speed carbon bearings
- Lightweight and portable at less then 4 lbs. & fits perfectly in most backpacks
- DECK SIZE — 22.5 X 6" plastic deck easily fits into a carry-on or backpack.
- TRUCKS — 3.125" aluminium alloy trucks
- BEARINGS — ABEC-7 bearings
- WHEELS — 60mm 78A wheels are super durable for a smooth, fast ride.
- 👉Comfortable Riding:This skateboard Has 3.8" Height Deck, Low Center of Gravity Will Balance You or Your kids on The Skateboard, 2.3" x 1.7 " PU Frosted Wheels,Increase Friction and Fine Abrasion Resistance,the Large and Soft Wheels Bring Smooth Riding Experience and Reduce Shakes,Suit for Kids and Beginners for a long-term use
- 👉High Quality:Sturdy Deck Has Weight Limit of 330Lbs,3.25" Wide Aluminium-Magnesium Alloy Trucks Can Support Most People Cruise on Different Street Surface,ABEC-7 Bearings Provide Quiet Riding Environmen
- 👉Portable:Skateboards Measures of 22" x 6" x 3.8" and 4lbs,Small and Light,Easy to Carry and Use.We also prepared Storage Bag to you,It's for your convenience
- 👉Cool Exterior: Blue Deck Goes with Silver Trucks and LED Wheels,Glittering as Well as you Sliding, Light Up The Night, Bring You or Your Kids Much More Fun,Refused to Mediocrity
- Anti wheel bite design make skateboarding easy to turn right or left
- Hold up to 220 lbs weight due to the sturdy deck made of fiberglass compound
- Soft 59x45mm PU wheels combined with ABEC-9 bearings for smooth ride
- Solid 3.25 Inch Aluminum trucks equipped with soft bushings for comfortable cruising
More interested in buying a complete longboard or roller skates or seeing other pros cons? Check out our other product reviews! Have you ever seen a penny longboard/nickel board?
Buying through Amazon Prime vs a skate shop you’ll get excellent customer service and free shipping. All rights reserved, view our terms conditions