20 Best Penny Boards for 2022 Posted in: Product Reviews, Skateboards – Tags: skate, skateboards main
How to pick the best penny board: When we talk about transportation, speed and cost-efficiency are important factors in this fast-paced world. There are many choices to choose from, and one of the most popular is the penny skateboards.
For ordinary onlookers, everything you ride and skate on is just a skateboard. But in the skateboarding world, there are actually different types of boards, and each offers a unique riding experience.
There are skateboards, cruiser skateboards, electric skateboards, longboards, the retro cruiser board, mini cruisers, and penny boards. For today, let us talk about the mini skateboard and how to find the best penny board.
Complete Best Penny Board List
The Top Picks: 3 Best Penny Board Reviews
Before anything else, here are some interesting facts about complete penny skateboards. It actually got its name from an Australian company called Penny® Skateboards, which was founded in 2010. While it now represents a whole style, the name used to be linked to a small, plastic board that is the same as mini-cruiser longboards.
Over the years, new manufacturers have created their own versions of penny boards. And for consumers, it would not make sense if you spend money on a penny skateboard that does not suit your taste. So to avoid making mistakes, here is a list of the 20 best boards you can find.
In this guide, we’ve reviewed the best penny style skateboard by the best brands. These plastic boards are worth the money, perfect for beginners and experienced riders that will be performing tricks. Skip to content
1. Retrospec Quip – Best Overall Penny Board
When it comes to the top penny boards out there, you can’t beat the Retrospec Quip. Not only is it one of the best penny boards out there, but it’s also affordably priced, so you can enjoy this top-notch piece of machinery without breaking the bank.
The polyurethane wheels and ABEC-7 carbon bearings allow you to reach incredible speeds, all while having a smooth, comfortable ride no matter the surface you’re riding on.
But what really sets this board apart is the 5” trucks that give you better balance and maneuverability. The only real drawback to the Retrospec Quip is that it’s only 6” wide, but this lets you slide it into your backpack whenever you’re not riding.
From there, sometimes you need to loosen the wheel nuts when you first pull it out of the box – but once you do, there aren’t any problems.
- Affordably priced for a high-quality board
- Polyurethane wheels provide an ultra-smooth ride
- Equipped with 5” trucks for extra maneuverability, control, and balance
- ABEC-7 carbon bearings give you a higher top speed
- Narrow width even for a penny board at 6” – but this lets it fit into backpacks
- Sometimes you need to loosen wheel nuts out of the box
2. EasyGoProducts Mini Cruiser – Best Penny Board for Beginners
If you’re new to the world of penny boards, you want the Fish Mini Cruiser. The reason is simple; the Mini Cruiser has a sturdy design, and the 10″ wide deck is wider than most penny boards.
But don’t make the mistake that beginner means slow; you’ll still be able to reach incredibly high speeds, which makes this penny board a blast to ride.
With the Mini Cruiser, you get better stability with the 58mm wheels that smooth out rough surfaces that you ride over, making it easier than ever to learn to ride.
Whether you’re teaching your kids or learning to ride yourself, this is a great board to get started on!
- A wider 10″ deck that’s perfect for beginners
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Ideal for both kids and adults
- Smooth and comfortable ride – but you can still reach high speeds
- 175-pound weight capacity is lower than other boards
- The deck is higher than most other penny boards
3. MoBoard– Best Penny Board Under $50
Just because you don’t want to spend a ton of money doesn’t mean that you can’t get an excellent penny board. This 27-inch vintage penny board by MoBoard store is a phenomenal option to get you into the skating world without spending a ton of money.
The board has a 220-pound weight capacity, which makes it perfect for both kids and adults. From there, the 59mm urethane wheels provide a smooth ride, so you don’t have to worry about bouncing around all over the street or sidewalk as you ride.
But what really sets this board by MoBoard apart are the interchangeable wheels. Whether you wore down the old ones or just want a different style, it’s never been easier to swap out the wheels.
- 220-pound weight limit makes it perfect for both kids and adults
- 59mm urethane wheels gives you a smooth ride
- Interchangeable wheels let you adapt to style or wear and tear
- A wider 10” deck that’s ideal for beginners
- The graphics on the board quickly wear off
- The board is a bit flexible, which can throw some people off
4. YF YOUFU – Most Durable Penny Board
The last thing you want is to buy a board and have to replace it just a few weeks or even months later. With this penny board from YF YOUFU, that’s the last thing you’ll have to worry about.
The board has a 220-pound weight capacity and comes with a 3-month warranty for extra peace of mind. From there, it has an anti-slip surface for extra safety, and it’s affordably priced too!
Not only will you save money down the road on this board, but you’ll save money upfront too! The YF YOUFU board does have a smaller deck that’s only 6” wide, so keep that in mind if you’re not an experienced rider.
- The deck is made from durable and bendable polyurethane with a 220-pound weight capacity
- 3-month product warranty for peace of mind
- Fractured diamond anti-slip surface
- Affordably priced
- The deck is only 6” wide
5. DINBIN – Most Flexible Penny Board
While you might not want a board to bend while you’re riding it, it’s better if it bends before it breaks. With this DINBIN penny board, you’ll have plenty of notice to back off. It still has a 220-pound weight capacity, so you shouldn’t have any issues either way.
From there, it has a 60-day warranty and comes in a variety of designs for you to pick from. It’s an excellent board for beginners. Just don’t fall too in love with the designs, as they tend to wear off sooner rather than later.
- It comes with a 60-day warranty
- Affordably priced
- Durable deck design bends before it breaks
- Design stickers quickly start to fall off
6. Geelife 22″ Complete Mini Cruiser
The Geelife penny board is an excellent choice for larger riders. While it doesn’t have a wider base, it can handle riders up to 330-pounds. Whether you’re hopping on with your kids as they learn to ride or you’re heavier set yourself, this board is exactly what you need.
The polyurethane wheels provide a smooth and comfortable ride at every stage, making it one of the top choices out there.
- High 330-pound load capacity
- Polyurethane wheels provide a smooth ride
- The board comes with grip pads attached
- Small 6” deck – not for beginners
7. Mayhem Cycle Fix Penny Style Skateboard
- Durable hard plastic skate board
- Abec 7 high speed precision stainless steel bearings
- Dimensions: 22" x 6"
With the Mayhem penny board, the name says it all. It’s a joy to ride, gives tons of stability, and can even support riders up to 215-pounds. It’s extremely durable, with 59mm gel rubber wheels that provide a smooth ride on any surface.
The tradeoff for that smooth ride is speed. This makes it perfect for beginners, but it’s a drawback for those that are thrill-seeking.
- 215-pound weight capacity
- 59mm gel rubber wheels give extra stability
- Extremely durable
- Gel rubber wheels provide a smooth ride – not a fast one
8. Penny Graphic Complete
This penny skate board has everything you will probably love from a penny board. What’s more, it comes in different colors and patterns such as fireworks, space, and floral graphics making it a great mini cruiser. Its 22” deck, 4” penny trucks, and 59 mm penny wheels will ensure you will have a smooth and stylish ride.
When it comes to durability, nothing beats the Penny complete. Videos posted online showed how this penny skateboard survived after being run over by a car. Overall this Penny mini cruiser is a great buy for value and quality making it the ideal board for beginners.
Look out for their Andy Davis Star Wars collaboration and other unique designs. Penny is distributed by Absolute Board co.
- Resilient and great board flex great option
- Great bushing for soft ease on sharp turns
- ABEC 5 branded bearings included
- Truck and wheel combo
- Penny nickel graphic is available in lots of color combinations
- A bit expensive
- Slightly slower bearings
Best Penny Skateboard Tricks
Watch below for some examples of the different basic tricks that can be done on a classic penny board. You’ll see kickflips, heelflips, hard flips, and 360 flips.
If you decided to do tricks as these do so at your own risk 🙂 A little known fact is that Larry Stevenson invented the kicktail on the skateboard which allows for all these tricks. Now go learn varial flips on your 22″ long penny it’s easy!
The penny complete skateboard is our favorite trick board. Sidenote tricks are easier on a long penny board, they have more foot space!
9. Skatro Mini Cruiser Skateboard
This skateboard is unlike any boards available on the market. The Skatro mini-cruiser almost looks like a traditional 22” penny skateboard, but it is equipped with the Skatro flex technology. This machine-calculated molded plastic ensures a flexible, optimal, and consistent ride.
Most bearings of penny boards are made from carbon steel, but the Skatro mini-cruiser uses bearing steel. They are way stronger than usual and provide absolute smoothness all the way. Skatro’s mini cruisers are a solid option in the penny skateboards complete market.
- Skatro flex technology
- Price is cheaper compared with other penny boards mini
- Comes with a matching T-tool
- Strong to support average-sized adult
- Wheels a bit slippery on first use
- Not for the advanced rider
- 3-inch aluminum trucks
- short wheelbase
10. Rimable 22” Penny Complete Retro Cruiser
Known for its cool design and features, this retro mini board is made for beginners, travelers, and cruise board players. It is one of the lightest boards at only 4 lbs, but it can carry riders weighing up to 200 lbs.
This board offers a high degree of flexibility that allows better control and smoother gliding. Another distinct feature is its 3-inch lightweight aluminum frame with first-class quality screws.
- Large soft wheels contribute to a smooth ride
- Comes with quality bearings
- Has 3-inch lightweight aluminum alloy bracket
- Made from 100% heavy-duty plastic
- Many styles and colors
- Wheels may easily get loose
- Retro penny original styling isn’t modern
11. Penny Classic Mini Cruisers
If you are a classic, old-fashioned man, then the fine-tuned details of the Penny Classic are for you. While its look will take you back to the 70s, its performance and durability are way better than most penny boards available on the market today.
Coming in at just 4 lbs, you can take this Penny complete mini skateboard everywhere you go. It also comes with 3-inch aluminum tricks for more durability and a higher weight limit.
- Lightweight durable and flexible
- Classic style
- The perfect mini cruiser
- Classic waffle pattern
- Bearings could be better – considering penny skateboards standard
12. Penny Nickel Complete Pantones Cruiser
If you want a modern-looking board with a touch of minimalism, then the Penny Nickel Complete Pantones Cruiser is for you. It measures just 27 ” inches long and comes with ABEC 7 bearings.
It can comfortably hold skaters weighing up to 200 lbs, and its longer size provides more room for stability. But its overall sleek appearance and flexibility make this suitable to be carried anywhere and be used anytime you want.
- Board offers more stability
- Easy to carry
- Can accommodate larger skaters, 200 lb weight limit
- Premium urethane wheels
- Needs a little practice before a younger rider can become comfortable
- Shallow classic waffle pattern
13. Cal 7 Mini Cruiser Skateboard
This skateboard is a perfect kind of scooter for those who are just starting out. It is easy to use and light to carry for adults and kids alike. It comes with ABEC 7 bearings, which is known for its high speed and smooth operation. Like the other boards in the segment, the deck mold pattern makes grip tape unnecessary.
The Cal 7 Mini Cruiser skateboard boasts of 59 mm soft wheels, which are highly durable and can withstand weight without any difficulties. They are available in different design options too. What’s more, you can pick the color of your wheels as well. check price on amazon
- Suitable for both kids and adults
- Assembled shipping
- Durable transparent wheels
- Striking color combinations to choose from
- Best for beginners
- Need to loosen trucks for smooth turns
- Chips easily
14. The Boss Board Complete
If its smooth ride and sturdy build are not enough, then its lifetime warranty is really a huge point to consider. The maker is committed to replacing any part when broken. And without a doubt, this kind of guarantee gives you an assurance that the Boss Board 22 inch Complete will stand through the test of time.
It measures 22” inches long and 6” wide, and this board is very easy to transport. It also comes with ABEC 7 bearings. Its large, neon wheels will ensure you get a smooth ride.
- Lifetime warranty
- Suitable for beginners and advanced skaters
- Vintage-inspired look
- Can be too small for some skaters
- Could be higher quality
No products found.
No products found.
15. Landwalker Complete Banana Cruiser Galaxy Skateboard
You know that the manufacturer behind this skateboard is determined to produce quality products when it incorporates what they call the Landwalker Technology. This is composed of “sophisticated equipment and well-trained workers, brilliant service team, and service attitude.”
This 22” Playwheels Skateboard boasts of ABEC 7 bearings and lightweight aluminum trucks with 59 mm wheels. Transportation has never been easy when using this board. It is as light as 4 lbs, but it has a maximum bearing weight of up to 200 lbs.
- Fit for most users
- Suitable for roads, skate parks, and U-shaped grounds
- Landwalker technology
- Comes with a T-tool
- Board is smaller in size than some competing boards
- Limited color combinations
16. Ten Toes Quip
This skateboard offers a package that is designed to accommodate skaters who love to carve. The Ten Toes Quip model is very flexible that it allows you to bounce as you roll across the pavement. Unlike most penny boards, this baby is a pound lighter at 3 lbs and a tad larger.
Available in nine unique color styles, the Quip is composed of carbon bearings and highly flexible plastic. Its polyurethane-casted wheels are big and soft enough to absorb any impact with ease.
- Lightweight and portable making it easy to carry
- Wide and smooth wheels
- Worthy of the price
- Excellent board for beginners
- Wheels need to be tightened on first use
- Soft bushings often lean to the riders dominant direction
- Could use higher quality components
17. Enkeeo 22” Cruiser Skateboard
Whether you are at the beginner or expert level, the Eneeko 22 is safe to use. This 22-inch board has a bendable deck and smooth PU caster. It has a maximum bearing weight of 200 lbs. Overall, it is a board that has all the basic and necessary functions and features. What penny is the best in your opinion? Answer in the comments!
- A durable board that does not collapse
- Completely assembled
- A great board for beginners
- quality plastic
- Wheels and trucks need to be loosened on first use
18. Merkapa 22” Complete
Popular for its light-up skateboard wheels, the Merkapa 22” is one of the best skateboards available on the market. The deck is 22” inches long and 6” wide and is offered in different vibrant color schemes.
In case you can’t get your mind off the possible additional expenses for the light-up wheels, here’s the good news. The wheels have LED lights that do not require any charging and can run even without batteries.
The source of electricity comes from the rotary power of the turning of the wheels. In case they stop lighting, simply tighten the screws. Problem solved?
- Comes with 3.25” V truck and base
- ABEC 7 bearings
- 60 x 45 mm PU wheel 78A
- Super shock absorption and fine abrasion-resistant wheels
- Can be too small for taller riders
- higher priced penny skateboard
19. High Bounce Complete 22” Skateboard
When you check the specs of this penny board, you would understand where the popularity is coming from. It measures 22” long and 6” wide and supports up to 187 lbs of weight. Its axles are made of high-quality aluminum and it comes with ABEC 7 bearings and smooth PU wheels.
Many customers said the High Bounce Complete is similar to the Penny, minus the hefty brand name price. The board is sleek and comes in a number of color options. The High Bounce provides a quiet and smooth cruising experience with easier and comfortable turns compared with traditional skateboards. High bounce is a strong contender in the best penny board argument.
- Smooth cruising experience
- An excellent bargain for its price
- great for beginners
- Wheels and bearings need to be loosened on first use
20. Ridge Skateboards Big Brother Retro Cruiser
- High build quality and design
- 59 mm polyurethane wheels ensure a smooth riding experience
- Our second choice best penny board for beginners
- Excellent choice for beginners
- Trucks aren’t as durable as other brands
Penny boards are really making a comeback. Its small size makes it easy to carry around while offering flexibility and great speed. Love it or abuse it, its durable deck material can handle a beating.
So, regardless if you are just cruising around or mastering some tricks, a penny offers a unique and fun riding experience in comparison to other sets of wheels.
Hopefully, this article has helped you decide the best penny board for you. Keep reading for more information and history, learn where these mini cruisers came from.
All About Penny Boards, Best Penny Board F.A.Q.
What is a Penny Board?
Although you might confuse the penny for just a plastic skateboard, it is actually a special type of board. They are smaller (around half a meter long), have no grip, and are primarily made of plastic compared to regular skateboards.
They have features similar to longboards. For example, the board has a rounded tip at the front, as well as 60-80 mm size wheels. Having a huge breakout in the late 80’s early 90’s these mini boards are making a huge comeback in the united states.
Who Invented the Penny Board?
The name penny board has become a generic trademark for any small plastic skateboards. “Penny” actually comes from “Penny Skateboards”, a well-known brand based in Australia.
The brand was founded by Ben Mackay in 2010. They popularized complete skateboards that paired cruiser wheels and trucks with a plastic upper deck.
How Long is a Penny Board?
Penny boards come in different variations, length included. There are three available deck sizes when it comes to penny boards.
The smallest is 22”. The 27” variation is called the Nickel, while the 36” deck is already considered a longboard. You can choose which size suits you the most based on comfort and use. A true penny board is typically no longer than 22″ inches long making these mini cruisers perfect for kids.
How Much Weight can a Penny Board Hold?
Like skateboards, penny boards also have a weight limit. Although they are much lighter than skateboards, they are strong molded plastic, making them very strong and durable considering they are made of plastic.
The usual size penny boards can hold up to 100 kg making them perfect for kids and teenagers, but many brands have been proven capable of holding much heavier weights. This video can show you how sturdy penny boards are.
How Much Does a Penny Board Weigh?
Plastic penny boards are lightweight compared to wooden skateboards, making them very portable boards. Their weight varies based on deck size and brand. The average skateboard weights from two to five pounds. Your penny board should be a little lighter than that.
How to Ride a Penny Board
To ride a penny board, you need to learn how to stand and kick. Make sure you place your board on a flat surface so it won’t slide around while you stand on it. Place your first foot on the board right behind the first two screws on top. Then, use your other foot to kick by putting the foot’s ball on the ground and pushing.
Just to be safe consider our best skateboard helmets article so you’re protected at all times. For a more detailed tutorial that will cover maneuvering, you can watch this video.
How to do a Kickflip on a Penny Board
Most skateboarders can do a kick flip, but it can be hard to do when you are on the smaller and more lightweight penny board. You need more practice because penny classic boards are for cruising and not tricks.
The first thing you need to do is buy and install grip tape since penny boards do not have grip. Put the ball of your front foot on the deck, with a bit of your foot off it. Your back foot should be on the deck’s tail. Pop your board into the air and flick your board using your toes.
After the board fully spans around, catch it with your feet in the middle of the air and land. It can be difficult to learn through text alone, so watch this video for the easiest way to do a kickflip on a penny board.
How to Customize your Board
Penny boards and mini cruiser skateboards come with plenty of customizable parts to make your board unique. First, you choose your model, which usually means you pick the deck size. Next, you can select the color for your deck, wheels, hangers, base plates, and bolts.
Lastly, you can customize your panel stickers and grip, if you wish to have one for your board. The nickel graphic options are vast, you can opt for elaborate or simplistic styles.
We’ve seen all kinds of cool graphics even sun boards and glow in the dark. This video gives you more details on how you can customize your penny board.
Is a Penny Board good for beginners?
Sure! Being smaller and easier to maneuver these Penny’s are perfect for the beginner looking to learn how to skateboard. The coolest collaborations are making them more attractive to the younger rider. Check out this awesome board available in the United States only.*
Amazon’s Recommended Best Penny Board and Mini Cruisers Skateboards
(Amazon recommended list)
- WHAT YOU NEED: Are you on the search for an amazing skateboard stand? We have the answer: the premium classic skateboard, your go-to-choice that allows you to stand out and have endless hours of fun...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: The classic board is made with premium 7 Bearing wheels and a 3-inch aluminum trunk that can hold up to 220 lbs. The 59 mm wheels are made with urethane, a durable and sturdy material...
- PRACTICAL DESIGN: The simple black skateboard is lightweight and easy to carry to your favorite park. The 22-inch board allows you to take sharp turns and to slide on small areas, as well as to try...
- Rimable Plastic Cruiser Fully Assembled
- 22'' Long x 6'' Wide Deck With 100% Fresh Material
- High Quality 3” Thick Aluminium Trucks
- QUIP CRUISER: It's smooth sailing with Quip’s small kicktail and molded waffle pattern for a solid hold on every twist, turn, and last-minute dodge you encounter. Our newest edition comes with 5"...
- SMALL, BUT MIGHTY: Cruise confidently knowing that your board is constructed from 22.5" x 6" or 27" x 6" injection-molded highly flexible plastic. Engineered to fit with how you move, not define it....
- FASTER THAN EVER: The ultra-smooth gliding polyurethane cast wheels enhance durability and comfort while you zip around town. Lightweight ABEC-7 high-speed carbon bearings add to Quip's nimble nature.
- DECK SIZE — 22.5 X 6" plastic deck easily fits into a carry-on or backpack.
- DECK SIZE — 22.5 X 6" plastic deck easily fits into a carry-on or backpack.
- TRUCKS — 3.125" aluminium alloy trucks
More interested in buying a complete longboard or roller skates or seeing other pros cons? Check out our other product reviews! Have you ever seen a penny longboard/nickel board?
Buying through Amazon Prime vs a skate shop you’ll get excellent customer service and free shipping. All rights reserved, view our terms conditions